We are excited to announce the kick-off of this year’s Micro-Bin Grant Program for high schools and colleges located throughout the United States and Canada. We have had a great deal of fun over the years working with students in an effort to stimulate their creative thinking with regard to recycling and sustainability using the Aerated Static Pile (ASP) Method of Composting.
Here's how the grant program works:
- The student group applying for the grant will contact O2Compost to schedule a free half-hour consultation.
- Peter Moon (owner) will meet with the students and an adult advisor in a Zoom conference call to explore their ability to initiate and complete a successful demonstration project.
- When given verbal approval that they will receive the grant, the students will prepare a brief “grant proposal” that addresses the specifics of their particular situation (i.e., who, what, when, where, why and how).
- Upon receiving the proposal, Peter will send a set of design drawings, training manual and related schematics so that the students can begin constructing one or two compost bins. Peter will be available to answer questions throughout this step in the process.
- Once we receive a photo that includes the student group and completed bins, the aeration equipment package will be sent.
- Peter will conduct a recorded Zoom training session that discusses the basics of aerated composting, the preparation of a suitable “initial compost mix”, and methods for monitoring the composting process.
- The students will monitor the composting process (i.e., recording their temperature data and observations), and they will work with Peter to troubleshoot the process if needed.
- At the conclusion of the project, the students will be asked to prepare a brief summary report of the project and to make a presentation to their peers.
- Finally, O2Compost will include a short review of the grant project in next year’s January newsletter.
If your student group would like to start the application process, please use the Bookings App on our website to schedule your free 30-minute consultation with Peter.
Let's start composting!